Just checked the reviews - sounds excellent - will be adding to my shopping list. I read another of her historicl novels where she so cleverly entwines fact with fiction, but not to the detriment of either - 'Girl with a Pearl Earring'- enjoyed both book and film, but as usual with reservations about the film.
THis is yet another one in my stash - but so enjoyed the pace of Girl with a Pearl Earring. I didn't need to see the colours, they came to my inner eye on the page. I thought the film was beautifully shot but I found the novel more sensuous in its descriptions - particularly smell which even film can't really re-create. And somehow words set the changing pace more effectively for me.
That same sense of stillness is apparent in my current reading - 'The Lieutenant' by Kate Grenville, a winner of the Orange Prize. More on that when I've finished.
Just checked the reviews - sounds excellent - will be adding to my shopping list.
ReplyDeleteI read another of her historicl novels where she so cleverly entwines fact with fiction, but not to the detriment of either - 'Girl with a Pearl Earring'- enjoyed both book and film, but as usual with reservations about the film.
THis is yet another one in my stash - but so enjoyed the pace of Girl with a Pearl Earring. I didn't need to see the colours, they came to my inner eye on the page. I thought the film was beautifully shot but I found the novel more sensuous in its descriptions - particularly smell which even film can't really re-create. And somehow words set the changing pace more effectively for me.
ReplyDeleteThat same sense of stillness is apparent in my current reading - 'The Lieutenant' by Kate Grenville, a winner of the Orange Prize. More on that when I've finished.