Thursday, September 9, 2010

Mary's good intentions

Re: Iguerra! and Duende
I would like to read both of the books you talk about. I really don't know enough about the origins and ins and outs of the war in Spain except that it was a "proxy" war. It was such a pivotal event in 20th c. european history that it would be worth further reading. My son has Orwell's Homage to Catalonia book and I may ask to borrow it. I am interested in the Gypsy book because my Czech daughter-in-law wrote her thesis on the Roma and has worked with and for them over the years. I am also interested in Andalucia, as you know.

I have just finished Birds Without Wings by Louis de Bernieres which I enjoyed very much. I thought it was beautifully crafted; he uses different voices and even tenses when his major characters are in the spotlight. Somehow, for all the sorrow, hardship and misery he talks about, I found it less depressing than his Captain Corelli's Mandolin.

1 comment:

  1. Tina has also been reading Louis de Bernieres, and loved his humorous novel 'The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts' which I also read and enjoyed, you should try it. I will add 'Birds without Wings' to my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.