Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Stories I Stole

by Wendell Steavenson
Because it describes it so much better than I could, this is the Times review for what was a very good read:
Unusual and beautifully worded... Steavenson's accomplished narrative - part travelogue, part love story - isn't burdened with unwieldy dollops of local politics, factions and acronyms. Her passion isn't the blood-drenched, complicated, tragi-comic political world of Georgia, but the ordinary folk who have to live in it. Her own authorial voice is lyrical, perceptive and sassy by turns; when she re-tells Georgian people's stories, you hear real voices... Her pared-down love story - with Thomas, a photographer - is told with tremendous charm.

2 comments:

  1. I have a pile of books so high but I shall add this title to my 'to buy list'. I'm reading an absolutely charming book called The Guernsey Lierary and Potato Peel Society. However, I am rather slow to finish it because the garden keeps calling me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Sorry about the 'literary' spelling mistake................

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.