Saturday, June 5, 2010

Norfolk notes

Thanks for the invite Sandra! I am never without a book by the side of the bed. Starting with Ladybird books, through The Famous Five and Biggles, on to The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and still going! Working in a library meant that I was surrounded by books all the time. Readers often recommended their favourites, and I was always up to date with the latest 'Booker Prize' list and Richard and Judy's 'Summer Reads'! Unfortunately working meant not having that much time to actually read books! However fate took a turn and John decided to globe trot with his job for a bit, so no more work and masses of time to read! In Azerbaijan I joined a book club (a first for me) and it was brilliant as I read books I would not normally have picked up, including the 'Time Travellers Wife' and 'A short history of tractors in Ukrainian'. (really good reads). Followed by 'The Extinction Club' (not so good!). Now based in Kuala Lumpur I have joined yet another Book Club. 'We recently read 'Shantaram' by Gregory David Roberts, which is about a fugitive from the law who ends up living in the slums of Mumbai and working for the Indian Mafia! It is a large and heavy book, which meant bed time reading also became 'keep fit' sessions, but I persevered and would recommend it. It gives a fascinating insight into Indian culture and people and the descriptions of life in the slums and in India in general are amazingly colourful and really bring it to life in your mind.
One thing I have found though is that people respond very differently to a particular book. People view the characters in the book from a very individual perspective which means, one persons 'hero' is another persons 'villain'. This makes for some very interesting discussions, when we all meet up over the biscuits, cakes and tea, (although I have to admit we don't always stick to discussing the book!).
Happy reading wherever you are.

1 comment:

  1. hi Judy - great to see you online! better than nothing... we seem to be reading along similar lines and have read all those you mention. Loved 'Shantaram'. Will post up my current reading shortly, and delighted you are joining in and giving us some gravitas with your librarian nouse.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.