Monday, March 28, 2011
The Girl at the Lion d'Or
The pages have gone yellow because I bought this in 1990 ( published 1989) after reading Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks, and I thought I'd try another by him. No idea why it took so long to open it because I was quite keen on the blurb about it being 'beautifully controlled' and a 'mystery'. You all know by now my love of European writers and for me Faulks just doesn't capture the 'Frenchness' of it all. It is beautifully paced - slowly working through a developing relationship and the heartbreak of rejection but somehow it's a bit too English for me. It could easily be set in the Home Counties of the 1930s, Agatha Christie country. Faulks does seem to be a bit hit and miss. My husband has recommended 'Enderby' - much better he says than 'A Week in December' - I agreed entirely with Sandra on that one. So if no-one would like my copy - off to the charity shop it goes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am also an occasional fan of S.Faulks and he can be disappointing but in agreement with Allan, "Engleby" was a pleasure, dark, disturbing but so cleverly written.
ReplyDelete