Friday, March 4, 2011
Mary awards her prize
I am just discovering Geraldine Brooks. She is a journalist, Australian by birth, and worked as Middle East Correspondant for the Wall St. Journal. I bought and read her first book, Nine Parts of Desire when I was living in Egypt. It is about the lives of women in that part of the world. She has also written a book called Year of Wonder about a 17th century plague year through the eyes of a woman who lived through it, and also March, an imagined account of the life in the south of the US during our civil war in the 1860s. March was the father of the , Little Women, book read by all American girls as they grew up. None of those books is filled with life and laughter, but I am in awe of Geraldine Brooks' ability to recreate, so believably,the the conditions of the times of which she writes. are the basis of and the social and scientific events which she so movingly describes. She writes in a matter of fact fashion. Her work is for me, very compelling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Joan says:
ReplyDeleteI fancy reading some of these as 'People of the Book' was wonderful. Have you read it and what was the verdict?
Sandra says:
ReplyDeleteI had forgotten about Geraldine Brooks until Mary mentioned her, and yes I also loved "People of the Book" - at last we agree! I will be trying some of Mary's suggestions.
Aha - agreement increases. I too loved People of the Book and passed on to Sandra on one her her fleeting visits to the North of Scotland. It seems to be a novel that resonates wherever you are living because of the classic settings and dilemmas of the content.
ReplyDeleteI wonder what else we all enjoy.....
Lynda