Thursday, March 3, 2011
JOAN'S PRIZEWINNING TITLES
From my bookclub 2010 reading list, I see our top vote went jointly to, 'Notes From An Exhibition', by Patrick Gale, a lovely story set mainly in Penzance. It tells the story of an artist who dies suddenly and her family find many unseen pictures and many unanswered questions. Lovely rounded characters, and a story that unfolds with numerous twists and turns, and as often happens nothing is what it seems. The other 'winner' was 'Remarkable Creatures' by Tracy Chevalier. A very unusual storyline about two female fossil hunters and their struggle to get recognised in the world of men. The 2 women come from very different backgrounds, but find common ground through their fascination of fossils. It sounds bizarre but it's quite beautifully written, and it is based on fact. I'm sorry to report that 'The Lacuna', sank without trace, receiving nil points! 'Rebecca' was in the running as was 'A Week In December'. If it makes you feel any better, my choice, 'An Awfully Big Adventure', by Beryl Bainbridge also was given the thumbs down, although I enjoyed it. Our current novel is 'The Postmistress', by Sarah Blake - lovely.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Variety they say is the spice of life, and surely also of friendship, as Joan and I rarely agree on our reading preferences. Neither "A Week in December" nor "Notes from an Exhibition" would have my vote as I found them hardly credible, particularly the 'Dec' one which stretched credulity to its limit. I prefer a believable piece of fiction when it is set in our own era. I happily suspend belief when it is Science Fiction or that the rather strange genre of Magic Realism. But despite my misgivings I am sending for a sample of "The Postmistress" for our Kindle. I am a convert! Initially cynical, I have found it the perfect companion when travelling around - and access to 'samples' before committing to buy is a great way to assess whether it will come up to expectations - anyone else trying it out?
ReplyDelete