Reading this blog is like having a ready made panel of reviewers available to help you choose your next book. I am now a member of two book clubs, one in KL and one in Norfolk so it is quite a challenge to keep up with the reading each month. One of the problems is getting hold of specific books, as anyone who has lived in other countries will tell you. At least here we have a mailing address and the post service is fairly reliable. I have also discovered an American based website called bookdepository.com which offers free worldwide postage! Anyway on to recent reads.
The book club in Malaysia have read some brilliant books recently and my favourite was probably
'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett. It is a story about black domestic servants in the American south and the author has the unique insight of someone who has experienced this situation herself, as a white person growing up there. It is sad, funny, horrific and ultimately uplifting! The way people were treated is quite shocking and the fact that it is set within our lifetime makes you really think!
Among the other books we have read are 'The 13th Wife' based around the issue of plural marriage in the Mormon and Latter day Saints communities in America. The author links two stories together, the historical side is tied in with a modern murder mystery, although we were not convinced that this worked very successfully at times.
'The House of Special Purpose' was written by John Boyne, who wrote 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' and is set in the time of the Russian Revolution. It concentrates on the household of the Tsar and the people who worked for them. Again this moves between the past and the present, but we felt that it worked in this case. I did guess the identity of one of the main characters before I was too far into the tale, and if you know the story of the Tsar and his family you will probably not have too much trouble identifying the character either!
I agree with a previous blogger about 'The Lacuna' sinking without a trace! I would quite happily have thrown it overboard before the end, but I persisted and finished it. Having been to Mexico I also recognised some of the places described in the book which kept my interest!
One of the more quirky books we have read is 'The Final Confession of Mabel Stark' by Robert Hough. A novel based on the life story of a female tiger tamer in the American Circus world. Very gory in parts, but fascinating to read.
Other enjoyable reads have been 'Billy' by Pamela Stevenson - the life story of Billy Connolly (funny, sad and illuminating) and 'Shantaram' about a convicted criminal living in the Indian Slums which really brought India to life for me. In between times I am trying to read 'Wolf Hall' by Hilary Mantell, which someone recommended to me.
Does anyone have a book or series of books or an author, they re-read over and over again and would never give away to a charity shop! It would be interesting to hear which books bloggers choose to re-read. I do not often read a book more than once but I do have a series that would qualify for this, so over to you for your thoughts.
Friday, March 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Joan says:
ReplyDeleteJudy, can I suggest Andrew Greig as a new author to try as his writing is a joy, and his interest in mountaineering and poetry shines through his prose. Try his poetry as well as his novels. I read 'When They Lay Bare' as a proof copy in Waterstone's and then devoured everything he had produced. I feel Judy has good taste as she gave 'The Lacuna', the thumbs down, (only joking). Kingsolver's lesser known books are tremendous, such as 'The Bean Trees', 'Prodigal Summer' and 'Homeland'. I am about to start 'The Long Song' by Andrea Levy, has anyone read it?
Hi Joan - have The Long Song as a sample on the Kindle, will we agree this time?
ReplyDeleteJudy, just finishing Wolf Hall and quite enjoyed it, although beginning to tire of it a bit.
I like the sound of some of those other books you mention and will be checking out Amazon later. Do you have a Kindle? I am a convert having started out a total cynic.
Ha, am still 'just finishing' Wolf Hall. I think this plainly tells me something. Instead I am gaily skipping through Kindle 'samples'- this is a free chapter to read before committing to buying the book. The perfect length for my bedtime read. It is also easier on my tired old eyes in the dimmer bedroom or night light.
ReplyDeleteHaving just delivered another large bag of books to the charity shop I did think about those that stay resolutely on my shelves - Angela Carter is a favourite. I've been reading her since she started publishing and re-read now many years later. It must be something to do with one's own chararcter changes and life experience but I do see new ideas and have different responses. I may even take her on my ultimate journey, unless someone else wants my books!
ReplyDeleteI do go back to the classics of the nineteenth century as well, and still love the way continental writers seem to touch the soul so much better than British writers - they seem less embarassed by their emotion and can explain passion in a short sentence loaded with intensity. So those stay. As does Winnie the Pooh!
Anyway my house would look too different if the books disappear.Might even appear to be tidy - heaven forfend.