Friday, March 4, 2011

Lynda's favourite for the past year

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon satisfied many of my hopes for a 'good read' - part mystery with Gothic undertones, part political thriller, part earthy comedy, full of continental passion and lost love ( they write so much better about it than English writers)and a hint of Borgesian parable. A literary mystery with a book at its heart.

My 'naughty' read was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Steig Larsson. Not outstanding literature but it opened the door to Scandinavian crime - and many other more atmospheric writers and nasty crimes in a Bergmanesque landscape.

And I also enjoyed the latest anthology of Carol Ann Duffy - always thought she deserved the wider recognition that being poet laureate has brought her.

1 comment:

  1. Shadow of the Wind on Baku shelf, next up. I have downloaded the Steig Larsson trilogy to the Kindle - I seem to be the last person in the world to have not read the damned things!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.