Friday, April 1, 2011

Angela Carter

Just received "Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales" as a Mother's Day present from my son, Duncan, who was sensibly listening when I dropped a few hints last time we were drifting around a bookshop, as we do.  Like Lynda I love Angela Carter for her irreverence and her clever subversion of female stereotypes.  If you have read "Night at the Circus" and are familiar with 'Fevvers' you'll know what I mean.
Here's a bit of insight from a reviewer :
This fabulous celebration of strong minds, low cunning, black arts and dirty tricks could only have been collected by the unique and much-missed Angela Carter.
She doesn't bother with soppy princesses and frilly fairies, rather preferring "crafty women, bad girls, enchantresses, rascal aunts and odd sisters". 

1 comment:

  1. Sandra, Angela Carter sounds a good one to try as I have never read any of hers and I like the sound of Andrew Greig. I will have to succumb to the ebook temptation I think as it is such a hassle to get hold of books here. At least I can then take several books on long plane journeys, less to carry and more to enjoy!
    Just re-read The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins - definitely the forerunner of the crime novel as we know it today. Have you read
    'Daughter of Time' by Josephine Tey, a great mix of historical novel and crime detection!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.