Monday, February 7, 2011

Where does she find the time?

Well done Sandra for keeping things alive and well on Word of Mouth. I know you're an avid reader but how do you find time to read so many books? I have shifted a whole bookcase of books waiting to be read today ( access to loft needed) and worked out I'd need to read for at least six hours every day for at least 2 years to get through them........................and then there are the other five bookcases around the house.
Last novel was The Colour by Rose Tremain - the 'colour' is gold, and the novel tackles the deprivations of early New Zealand settlers and the gold rush, Maori belief and the journey to find a meaningful relationship for a woman destined to a life ruled by male domination. It also has an undercurrent of mystery about why the main male character is searching for salvation through gold.
I first read Rose Tremain in the early eighties and have been a fan since. And guess what - I found another 2 of her novels in my bookcase shift today! But first of all I shall finish The Harmony Silk Factory by Tash Aw, an author who wants to broaden the western view of his native Malayasia.
Happy Reading All

1 comment:

  1. Geoff's pet name for me here in Baku is "the tourist", maybe that provides an answer?

    I am ashamed to admit that I have yet to read a Rose Tremain, so I hope Lynda will remedy that for me when I get back home shortly. I am also a sucker for a good title and I love the sound of 'The Harmony Silk Factory' which I will be adding to my shopping list.

    At the moment I am slowly ploughing through a history of the women of Genghis Khan's immediate family, particularly his daughters, whom he promoted above his sons, to be the Queens of newly conquered lands and tribes. He had a high regard for women who he saw as equal to the male - and an essential element of social and spiritual harmony. He gave them enormous power, raising them above their husbands.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.