"Dandelion Soup", by Babs Horton
What does a harshly-run orphanage in the remote Irish village of Ballygurry have to do with the pilgrim trail to Santiago de Compostela in Spain? And where does a recipe for dandelion soup fit in?
This is a decidedly quirky tale which somehow blends the three and involves all manner of mysteries, mainly to do with parentage of some of the orphans, which are solved in very complex ways. You really need to suspend your disbelief to believe in all the twists and turns and coincidences, but it is well worth it because of the wonderful, larger-than-life characters - some sympathetic, some less so - but all utterly engaging as they develop within the narrative.
An utterly charming, original, feel-good book by an author I hadn't encountered before. I see her better known book is "A Jarful of Angels" which I shall make an effort to track down.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.