In the Mountains of Poetry
by Peter Nasmyth (revised 3rd edition)
This is a very good read covering the social, political and religious milieu of this very complex Country. The focus is on the recent past when Georgia declared its independence from the Soviet Union and the chaos that ensued with public and private corruption never far behind. Certain threads run through the book enhancing the already rich historical detail, from Georgia's fascinating religious history and the villagers who keep ancient rituals and observance alive, to the boisterous nature of a people who take trust and friendship to new heights. I have already been to Georgia but I hope I get the chance to go again to track down some of the fascinating places Nasmyth has highlighted.
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.