Saturday, July 10, 2010
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Pie Society
A most interesting subject but the narrative is a rather weak love story. I enjoyed reading it but finished and found I had no real knowledge of the many characters; they all remain just names. (Everybody falls in love with a child called Kit and yet she could be a cat or a dog!) Perhaps this is because the novel is an epistolary which moves it one step away? Being picky now, the style of the end changed along with the narrative voice and I feel like someone (the editor maybe) said: 'that's enough finish now!' A 'nice' holiday read though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Several of my latest reads have ended, either in dreary waffling, or too suddenly, as you describe - very frustrating. With the wafflers I find myself skimming pages, with the sudden end I feel disappointed, especially when I have enjoyed the rest of the book. Always too busy in Shetland to get down to any reading, but have a copy of 'The Old Man and the Sea' to re-read.
ReplyDelete